Clara A. Back Memorial Scholarship
Clara A. Scherger was born on July 19, 1899 to George and Mary (Stengel) Scherger. When her brother died at a young age, Clara was raised as an only child. During her eighth-grade year in school, Clara scored the highest of all eighth graders on a county-wide math test. In 1920, Clara married Charles A. Back of St. Peters. Together, they had thirteen children. Charles died in 1956, leaving Clara to manage the family farm and continue to raise their children. She cultivated a love of family and the importance of a strong work ethic in her children. Clara's legacy has been perpetuated in her 50 grandchildren and 120 great-grandchildren.
Clara's mathematical abilities were passed on to her descendants, as many of them have pursued careers in finance, accounting, teaching, and construction. To be eligible for the Clara A. Back Memorial Scholarship, seniors must meet the following criteria:
1. The applicant is a senior who will graduate from a high school located in Franklin County, Indiana.
2. The student must attend a college or university in the state of Indiana.
3. The applicant must have a SAT-Math score of at least 670 or an ACT-Math score of at least 30.
4. The applicant must include a letter of recommendation from a current math teacher.
5. The applicant must demonstrate a strong work ethic and commitment to family values.
The Clara A. Back Memorial Scholarship has been established in the Franklin County Community Foundation by her children and their descendants: Marjorie Back Lehane (deceased), Dorothy Back Giesting (deceased), Jerome Back (deceased), Albert Back (New Alsace), John Back (deceased), Paul Back (St. Peters), Clarence Back (deceased), Harold Back (Brookville), Virginia Back Huff (deceased), Victor "Pete" Back (Sunman), David Back (Cedar Grove), Marlene Back Hoog (St. Leon), and Charles, Jr. "Boomer" Back (Hamilton, OH).